Saturday 4 August 2012

Bolt makes semis on comeback

Jamaica’s Usain Bolt reached the 100m second round as he bids to seal his own place in Olympic legend.
Bolt, who broke both the 100m and 200m world records in winning the Olympic titles four years ago, had not run since last month because of a back problem and there had been question marks over his fitness coming into the Games.
Bolt’s habit of making a bad start – something that cost him dearly at the world championships last year when he was disqualified for a false start in the 100m final – reared its head again in the heats.
He stumbled out of the blocks but then sauntered across the line in 10.09sec, nowhere near the 9.88sec of American Ryan Bailey, whose time was the fastest ever in an Olympic 100m heat.
“I’m feeling good, my legs are feeling good so I’m happy with that,” said 25-year-old Bolt.
“My training is good. I’m feeling back, so I’m happy.”
Elsewhere defending Olympic champions suffered differing fortunes as Russian pole vault great Yelena Isinbayeva qualified with ease for the final.
However, 400m champion LaShawn Merritt bowed out after pulling up in his heat with a suspected hamstring injury.
“This was my life’s race,” said the dejected 26-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment